Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Music For Having Fun


The other day my wife and I were listening to an interview of the members of a new rock band on the radio. The interview was interspersed with a few cuts from their new album. The members of the band proved quite charming and thoughtful, but their music was quite loud, somewhat dissonant, and a little grating on our sensibilities.

Afterwards, my wife was prompted to say, "I really like those guys, but I can't support them. I really don't think I could listen to their music."

I replied that that was because she is getting too old for rock and roll. "Rock and roll is music for the hormones, and we are past the age when hormones rule. Rock and roll is music for the hormones, classical is music for the intellect, and jazz is music for the soul."

She asked, "What is country music for?"

"I don't know. Country music is kind of off my radar. What do you think?"

She thought a few seconds then replied, "Country music is for having fun."

Poor is the church without music. - Irish proverb

No comments: